The Graduate School
Frequently Asked Questions
Please feel free to email us if you cannot find the answer you need. We would love to hear from you!
- Which login do I use?
- How do I prepare for admission to graduate school?
- How do I know which documents I still need to submit?
- Applicants can check the status of their application through their myUTTyler account. Login information for this account will be emailed to applicants about 48 hours (not including weekends) after the application is submitted. Once logged in, individuals will navigate to their Student Center using the instructions in our email. The To Do List on the right side of the Student Center lists all required documents; one items are received, they are removed from the To Do List.
- I have submitted all of my documents, but my Student Center still says “Incomplete."
What am I missing?
- The Student Center will say “Incomplete” until an admissions decision has been made. Once a decision is entered, your status will change to “Complete."
- What do I do if I lost/forgot my student ID number or temporary password?
- Send an email to email@example.com, and your login credentials will be resent to you. Be sure to include your full name and date of birth in your email so we can locate your account.
- Why don’t the student ID username and temporary password work for me?
- If you try to copy/paste the password, your login will fail. Please manually enter the temporary password, or you can copy all but the last digit, then manually type that in to ensure no extra spaces are in the field. If you still have trouble, try clearing your browser’s cache or try a different browser altogether. If that still doesn’t work, please let us know!
- I qualify for a GRE/GMAT waiver, but my To Do List says I need to submit those scores.
- GRE/GMAT waivers are typically granted by the academic department automatically, and that item is removed from your account at the time of admission. Go ahead and submit all other necessary documents. Likely, the GRE/GMAT Scores item will disappear and you will receive an admissions decision shortly.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.at UT Tyler?
- The academic departments will not evaluate profiles, only completed applications. Please try our Profile Evaluator to get a good idea if your profile matches that of other successful applicants.
- If my language proficiency exam scores are lower than the required minimum, can I
be conditionally admitted or take English courses during my graduate program?
- No, applicants whose TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores do not meet the minimum required cannot be considered for any kind of admission. Applicants who do not meet the minimum score requirement are encouraged to retest or contact IELI@uttyler.edu for information about UT Tyler’s Intensive English Language Institute.
- Do I need to submit letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, or resume to
complete my application?
- That depends on your chosen academic program. Some of our programs require a combination of those documents, while others do not. You can find the admission requirements for your chosen degree program on our Graduate Programs page.
- As an international student, do I have to submit proof of financial responsibility
in order to be admitted?
- No, those documents will be submitted to International Student Services (ISS) after admission.
- I have not graduated/received my degree yet; can I be admitted?
- Yes, usually. Most departments will offer provisional admission to students missing their proof of degree. Please check with our staff or your academic program to see if they offer provisional admission.
- What is provisional admission?
- Provisional admission can be granted to students that are missing a document that
is required to complete the application process. Provisional admission allows you
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.students), apply for scholarships, etc. Provisional admission only lasts one semester – you must provide us with your missing document by the end of that semester, regardless of the number of hours you take. Students who do not maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 during the semester in which they are provisionally admitted will be denied admission to the program to which they applied. Not all programs offer provisional admission – please check with our staff or your academic program to see if they offer provisional admission.
- Provisional admission can be granted to students that are missing a document that is required to complete the application process. Provisional admission allows you
- What is conditional admission?
- Conditional admission refers to a “condition of admission” that is set by the academic department at the time of admission. A condition of admission to a particular program may be a certain GPA, or that specific courses are taken and a minimum grade is earned in those courses. Conditional admission can last up to 9 hours; it’s not based on number of semesters. Students on conditional admission who do not maintain a 3.0 GPA will not be allowed to continue in the program. International students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are not eligible for conditional admission.
- Can I defer my admission to the next semester?
- Yes! Admission to UT Tyler is valid for up to three semesters in which students do not enroll in a course (including summers). You are welcome to wait one or two semesters, but please note that admission expires after three inactive semesters. You don’t need to do anything special to defer – just enroll in the next semester’s courses when they open.
- I have been accepted into one program, but I would like to switch to another. How
can I do that?
- Students are welcome to change programs at any time during their graduate career. A Change of Program Form will need to be signed by your new academic advisor and submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions for processing.
- I'm an undergraduate student at UT Tyler, but I want to get started on my graduate
degree. Can I take graduate classes as an undergraduate student?
- Students within 12 hours of graduation can take graduate level classes with their
advisor’s permission. Students are limited to a maximum of 6 graduate hours. The graduate
courses cannot satisfy undergraduate requirements, but will count toward a graduate
degree. This is an incentive to start graduate school - you will pay undergraduate
tuition for these 2 graduate classes! Check the catalog for important details.
One important consideration: if you graduate with 6 graduate hours and are admitted provisionally to the graduate program, you can only take one more graduate class the following semester (you must be fully admitted to take more than 9 graduate hours.)
- Students within 12 hours of graduation can take graduate level classes with their advisor’s permission. Students are limited to a maximum of 6 graduate hours. The graduate courses cannot satisfy undergraduate requirements, but will count toward a graduate degree. This is an incentive to start graduate school - you will pay undergraduate tuition for these 2 graduate classes! Check the catalog for important details.
- Are course syllabi listed somewhere online so I can look at what's covered in a particular
- Yes – please visit the syllabi section online.
- Who is exempt from the Bacterial Meningitis vaccination?
- Automatic exemptions apply to students who are 22 years of age or older and students taking only online or other distance education classes. The full academic program must be offered online to qualify.
- How recent must the immunization be?
- The documentation must show proof of an initial meningococcal vaccination or a booster dose during the five-year period before enrolling.
- I have a hold for the Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine, but I'm only taking online courses.
How can I get the hold removed?
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have the hold released. We will need an email from your
Patriots email account (or the email account you provided on your application), including
your student ID number, stating:
"I have read and understand the Bacterial Meningitis Policy. I am not currently enrolled in any on-campus classes, and I understand that if I do enroll in any on-campus classes I must submit documentation of immunization from an appropriate medical professional 10 days prior to the first class meeting. Failure to provide documentation will cause delays in the registration process."
- Contact email@example.com to have the hold released. We will need an email from your Patriots email account (or the email account you provided on your application), including your student ID number, stating:
We want to make sure we meet your needs and expectations. How are we doing?