Curriculum and Instruction MEd Degree
Department of Education
Dr. Yanira Oliveras Ortiz
Delivery Methods: Online and on campus (depending on cognate)
Time to Degree: Can be completed in 2 years
College: Education and Psychology
Cost: Approximately $7,540 for Texas residents based on the 2019-2020 academic year
Scholarships/Financial Support Available: Yes; Teacher-in-Excellence Scholarship Available
Test Score Required: Satisfactory GRE score obtained within the past five years.
GPA: Admission is determined based on undergraduate GPA and, if necessary, satisfactory
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.commitment to his or her chosen field of study. See website for additional information.
Certification: Must be a certified teacher or be currently seeking certification.
Letters of Recommendation: No
Resume/Curriculum Vitae: No
Admissions Essay: No
Deadlines: Graduate School Calendar
NOTE: In accordance with Texas Administrative Code, all applicants must be fully admitted prior to taking any coursework in the area in which they are seeking certification. Therefore, no provisional admission is allowed.
Additional requirements for GradTeach:
- Have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.25 in last 60 hours of coursework. Students may be accepted into the post-baccalaureate initial certification with a GPA of 2.5 with an acceptable Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score.
- Provide evidence of satisfactory scores on one of the acceptable basic skills test such as the Texas Success Initiative, GRE, Accuplacer, and others. See the School of Education website for specific information regarding appropriate tests and scores.
- Have a minimum number of hours in the content area where applicant is seeking certification.
- Pass the content area in the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT).
- Complete the admission screening survey.
Upon admission (GradTeach only):
- Sign and submit through a provided survey link an acknowledgement of admission, the Handbook Agreement Form, degree plan, and FERPA Agreement Form within five (5) business days.
- Complete background check documents.
- Pay admission fee to the School of Education. This fee is separate from The University of Texas at Tyler’s Graduate School application.
Career Outlook: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for secondary teachers are expected to increase by 6% through 2028. Opportunities for community college or junior college educators are expected to increase by 11% over the same period. For more information, visit The Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Salary Information: See Bureau of Labor Statistics for detailed salary information on these careers. Texas teachers’ salary information is also available at the Texas Education Agency. Another great resource is O*Net.
Meet a University of Texas at Tyler graduate student.
Learn more from The School of Education.
Find Out More:
School of Education
3900 University Blvd.
Tyler, Tx 75799
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
800 UT TYLER